16 Best Places in Singapore for Artisanal Coffee 
December 31, 2020 by The Fun Empire Team
Artisanal Coffee Singapore
Are you a coffee person? Strangely enough, while the coffee bean has become one of the most profitable trading commodities in the modern world, it's history and origins are a little unclear. A popular legend on the discovery of the coffee bean was when the goats of an Ethiopian herder started exhibiting strange behaviour after consuming the fruit of a nearby coffee bean bush. In another study, historians believe that coffee beans were chewed as a stimulant by enslaved Sudanese. The origins of roasting the beans dated in Yemen, where a mystic had the idea of roasting the coffee cherries after finding them too bitter to be eaten raw. He then dropped them in water after roasting found them too hard to chew, which resulted in a concoction similar to what we know as coffee. But despite its cloudy history, coffee has definitely has won over the hearts of many and has become a breakfast and brunch staple in numerous places around the world.
The art of coffee brewing has evolved ever since its discovery, as coffee purveyors and experts constantly search for novel ways to present a cup of liquid gold and maximise its flavour, depth, and taste. For your next caffeine fix, why not try these places for the best artisanal coffee in Singapore? Once you step into these cafes, you'll know these places take nothing less than the best when it comes to brewing the best cuppa. In fact, it could be your next go-to whenever you need that perk-me-up at any time of the day!
Note: As of writing this article, establishments are still confining to social distancing guidelines. Do exercise social responsibility when eating out in large groups!
Before we get to that list, did you know that The Fun Empire hosts various workshops and activities that can get you to engage your brain juices or learn more about the craft you're making? Why not check these links out to see if there is any activity that catches your fancy? It might make the extra energy you're getting from the coffee more worthwhile!
1. The Coffee Academïcs
|Key Services||Scotts Square & Raffles Shopping Centre:|
Full-service restaurant, providing food and beverages (coffee, tea and alcoholic drinks)
Ocean Financial Centre & Marina Bay Financial Centre:
Beverages (coffee and tea), array of freshly-baked pastries and sweets
Full-service restaurant, providing food and beverages (coffee and tea)
6 Scotts Road, #02-01/02, Singapore 228209
Raffles Shopping Centre:
252 North Bridge Road, #B1-12, Singapore 179103
Ocean Financial Centre:
10 Collyer Quay, #01-03, Singapore 049315
Marina Bay Financial Centre:
10 Marina Boulevard, #01-01, Singapore 018983
9 Raffles Boulevard, #01-26/28/K17, Singapore 039596
|Phone||Scotts Square: 6538 1940|
Raffles Shopping Centre: 6266 0560
Millenia Walk: 6980 3314
|Operating hours||Scotts Square:|
Mon-Thu: 9am - 8:30pm
Raffles Shopping Centre:
Mon-Thu: 9am - 8:30pm
Ocean Financial Centre:
Sat-Sun & PH: Closed
Marina Bay Financial Centre:
Sat-Sun & PH: Closed
Mon-Fri: 8am - 8:30pm
PH on weekdays, Sat: 9am-9pm
The Coffee Academïcs is a purveyor and roaster of specialty coffee that is born and based in Hongkong. Since 2012, the brand has been setting the standards of coffee culture in Asia with its selection of award-winning blends; 92-points and 93-points for its House Blend and JWF Blend respectively, receiving the top score in Asia and ranked 3rd in the world (2012-2015).
From sourcing worldwide for the best beans to roasting locally, The Coffee Academïcs' aim to extract and present the most exquisite characteristics of coffee with the latest innovative techniques. This is truly a place where innovation and design amalgamate to give you a holistic and memorable experience.
- Coffee Knowledge and Education - Staying true to the name, The Coffee Academïcs constantly strives to make good coffee accessible and simple for everyone to understand, appreciate and enjoy. Their baristas are trained with the proper tools to enhance their skills and deepen their understanding of the entire coffee chain. Knowledge sharing with other coffee enthusiasts is also carried out via workshops, which are open to the public.
- Focus on Design and Customer Experience - Apart from coffee, the team is also dedicated to creating exceptional in-store experiences; each with its own distinct look of homely yet stylish décor, coupled with our curated music playlist. Our Singapore flagship outlet at Scotts Square is a Sensory Playground for coffee aficionados and hobbyists to enjoy and learn about coffee. The sensory stations include: Classics Bar, Bar & Tap, Academy, Sensory Bar, Retail Corner and Roasting Corner.
- Sustainable and Social Efforts - To ensure coffee can be relished in the long run, The Coffee Academïcs ensures that their coffees are Rainforest Alliance certified; audited to meet standards that require environment, social, and economic sustainability. The team also practices direct trade to ensure farmers are fairly compensated for the work they do. Locally, all the outlets have a Bring Your Own Cup initiative to reduce the use of plastic takeaway cups. The outlets have also switched from plastic to plant fibre straws.
Visited the new outlet at Raffles City. The food was really good (they serve curly fries in a bucket!!!) and the portioning was huge, so it was fairly worth the price. They have an interesting variety on their coffee menu and my favourite was the coffee drizzled with manuka honey (bitter sweet its a girls thing haha). Excellent service from all the staff too. They were really friendly, welcoming and attentive. Thank you for the pleasant experience! Will definitely go back againAemanda Chan
2. Kings Cart Coffee Factory
|Key Services||Cafe, Brunch, Coffee Roastery. Mobile Coffee Cart. Coffee roasting and wholesale.|
|Address||328 Joo Chiat Road, #01-05|
|Phone||+65 9638 8380|
|Operating hours||Sunday to Monday: 9am - 6pm|
Friday & Saturday: 9am - 10.30pm
Kings Cart Coffee started out as a mobile coffee service provider that brings artisan coffee to all sorts of events. Recently, they've opened their first brick-and-mortar coffee factory and cafe concept in Joo Chiat to be a storming ground for coffee lovers and brunch seekers alike. Kings Cart Coffee aims to build a warm and welcoming community for people of all walks of life to come together and enjoy a great cuppa.
At Kings Cart Coffee Factory, the team views coffee as an ingredient as compared to a final product. This gives them the ability to be creative and craft specialty drinks and cocktails that feature their beans. Part of the quaint cafe serves as their coffee roasting facility to bring the experience of coffee production closer to guests. On Friday and Saturday nights, you can be treated to their best coffee cocktails - some made with their best-brewed espressos.
- Roasts their own coffee in-house, on-site, twice a week to ensure utmost quality control and freshness.
- Values a lot of our people as well as our community and environment. Whatever they do is coffee-centric. Kings Cart Coffee trains and empowers their team members with essential coffee skills and knowledge to keep them employed. The team also endorse recycled products such as Huskee cups which are made of disposed coffee husks.
- Kings Cart Coffee (probably) serves some of the best coffee cocktails you can find in Singapore.
Was at level 31 today. I must say Ronald's coffee is fantastic. Regrettably forgot to ask the other gentleman his name, but his coffees are really good too.Paul Loke
That espresso is almost mythical in its recuperative powers!! More power to you Ronald!VC John
3. The Maks' Coffee
|Key Services||Specialty Coffee & Lifestyle Goods|
|Address||267 Tembeling Road, Singapore 423739|
|Operating hours||By appointment only|
The Maks' Coffee is a specialty coffee and lifestyle company based in Singapore. Working directly with micro-lot coffee farmers within the region, The Maks' Coffee sources for premium Arabica coffee beans to create the everyday coffee experience that leaves a minimal environmental footprint from farm to cup. The coffee is freshly roasted weekly and available as coffee beans, drip coffee sachets and earth-friendly coffee capsules. The Mak's coffee selection is known for its low acidity and only uses 100% Arabica coffee beans, so it's perfect if you're trying out your first cup or can't stand too strong a cuppa.
- The Maks' Coffee partners directly with micro-lot coffee farmers in the region to source premium Arabica coffee beans to ensure fair pricing to coffee farmers.
- Promotes conscious living through their coffee and lifestyle goods.
- Giving back is a big part of their core values. The Maks' Coffee works closely with schools and orphanages in the region where they source their coffee beans and dedicates a month to raise funds to help support their education and livelihood every year.
The coffee I had was superbly smooth…most importantly no gastric reaction too!
One of the purest cups of coffee I ever had the pleasure to sip upon and the memories of its taste still linger on today…
4. Foreword Coffee Roasters
|Key Services||Asian specialty coffee, sustainable bean-to-cup coffee drinking experience|
|Address||28 Orchard Rd, Singapore 238832|
|Operating hours||Mon-Fri: 9.00am-5.00pm|
Sat, Sun: 11.00am-4.00pm
Foreword Coffee Roasters is a social enterprise providing an inclusive work environment for persons with disabilities, special needs and mental health conditions. Foreword sources and imports specialty coffee from Asian producers and roasts fresh in Singapore.
Foreword started out as a hole-in-a-wall cafe at the National University of Singapore (NUS) in 2017 with a vision of empowering persons with disabilities and special needs through employment opportunities. Since then, they've grown to become a company offering a range of products and services while expanding the number of cafe outlets serving specialty coffee in Singapore.
- Traceability in the coffee supply chain: by going direct to the source, a greater portion of earnings can be channeled to farmers.
- Green nudges: Customers enjoy a BYOC discount when they bring their cups to our cafes. Foreword also chooses eco-conscious packaging and actively pushs out green initiatives to further the BYO movement.
- Inclusive vision: Foreword believes that every individual is capable of contributing meaningfully. By practicing empathy and patience, the team at Foreword co-creates and sustains an inclusive workplace that comprises of a diverse team!
Wei Jie and Anderson hosted our group for our baby girl's birthday gathering and it was a really delightful event. Their service is thoughtful, the coffees and teas are delicious and their attention to detail - excellent. Not to mention their dedication to their social mission! We could not be happier choosing to hold our event at Foreword and highly recommend Foreword to folks beyond the NUS campus! Thank you once again for making our little event a special oneHuijia Phua
5. Tiong Hoe Specialty Coffee
|Key Services||Retailing of coffee beans and beverages|
170 Stirling Road, #01-1133, Singapore 140170
1 Harbourfront Walk, FairPrice Basement 2, #B2-23, Singapore 098585
1 Fusionopolis Pl, Galaxis, #01-28/29, Singapore 138522
|Operating hours||Stirling Outlet: |
Weekdays: 8:30am - 5:20pm
Weekends/PH: 9am - 3:50pm
Daily: 8am - 8:45pm
Weekdays: 8:30am to 3:20pm
Inspired by Mr Tan Tiong Hoe’s undying passion for coffee, Jacob and co-founder Juliana came together in 2014 to establish Tiong Hoe Specialty Coffee Pte Ltd. Situated in the heartland area in Queenstown, Mr Tan Tiong Hoe’s office of more than 20 years was renovated into the iconic cafe today.
Tiong Hoe Specialty Coffee exists not only to provide quality coffee products, but also to inspire a sense of endearment, comfort and nostalgia in brewing a cup of specialty coffee - that final step from bean to cup. And to meet the changing needs of the industry and our consumers, the team constantly pushes themselves and insists on providing the best to those who love and share the passion for a great cup of coffee. Tiong Hoe are set to always be on the lookout for better coffee and are endlessly developing themselves every day to make every important aspect of the customer experience a little bit better.
- Carries more than 15 coffee from different origins, to suit the wide preferences of our consumers.
- The third generation, with over 50 years of experience in the industry.
- Offers retail purchase their coffee beans and brewing equipment on their website, or coffee appreciation and coffee making classes.
Great place for coffee! Especially when around the vicinity, you need that perk me up coffee to go along. Limited places to seat due to current pandemic. The shop observes very good social distancing. Hence, going to place early and takeaway is recommended. Tried the espresso macchiato, it’s very fruity and have a strong flavour profile. Cafe latte is well balance, not too much milk which should be that way. Like it very much.Saiful Anwar
6. Upside Down Coffee Roasters
|Key Services||Flexibly providing coffee accessibly to people from all aspects, ranging from:|
- Supplying or coffee beans & services to businesses (B2B)
- Providing coffee day-to-day to consumers via our coffee bars
- E-commerce platform for our products for those who intend to brew their own coffee at home & those who would like to drink our coffee at the comfort of their own place (ready-to-drink beverages)
|Address||Upside Down Coffee Roaster - Coffee Stand|
115 Amoy St, Lobby Space
Shift Syphon Bar
Southbank Residences, 883 North Bridge Road, #01-13
|Phone||91071731 (Rashyd Haniff)|
82680903 (Apple Lim)
|Operating hours||Upside Down Coffee Roaster - Coffee Stand|
Weekdays: 08:30AM - 4:00PM
Closed on Weekends & PH
Shift Syphon Bar
07:30AM - 3:00PM
Closed on Wednesdays
Established in 2017, Upside Down Coffee Roaster (UDC) was operating as a self-sustaining coffee stand in the heart of the Central Business District, providing non-pretentious and quality in-house roasted coffee to the working crowd.
As one of the first few places in Singapore back then to serve takeaways in a more compact 7oz cup, many questions were raised by consumers all-around; most of which were "Why is the cup so small?". UDC are focused on ensuring there's the right balance in your cup of coffee. That doesn't mean they're not flexible - the team is more than delighted to walk you through the time to allow you to experience and understand the "balance" they speak of.
Each of the team members at UDC has done their part to elevate and make a difference in the industry. They believe the difference in cultures and styles will only make the industry more vibrant as time goes by. After all, coffee is what always gets anyone and everyone together without bias nor discrimination. In all, UDC is not a brand with fancy decors & equipment in their coffee shops, but they are a team that loves what they do, the diversity it has expanded itself into and they are committed to it.
- Keeping specialty coffee flexible & fun, UDC maintains the quality of each coffee they serve in a simple, laid-back, and non-pretentious setting and price point.
- One of the few places in Singapore to stick to their niche and craft by only focusing on coffee and only a couple of other non-coffee alternatives in their menu. At their cafe, they do not serve food items. UDC believes in maintaining their key product's quality through focusing and being creative with it. As coffee is their house product that they self-produce through sourcing and roasting them on their own, UDC takes every measure and dedicates lots of time to ensure consistency in freshness and quality in their coffee through daily and weekly protocols.
- UDC experiments with their coffee; to live up to their promise to turn the industry upside down in their own small ways. UDC naturally ages and infuses some of their coffees with other products to bring a different characteristic to the coffee while still bringing out its natural flavours.
Hidden in the background of the busy Amoy street area, this gem of a coffee place will sure delight coffee lovers who work around the area. Flavorful coffee from their own roasters, they rotate the blends in their drinks quite often.
Craved out from an unexpected part of the building, there's not many seats available but it was nice to stand around and chat with the barista and owners. Check it out!Jiunn Yann Alex Ng
7. Morphine Coffee
|Key Services||Coffee Kiosk (Takeaway/Limited Alfresco Seatings), Coffee Roasting|
|Address||10 Paya Lebar Road, #01-K5|
PLQ Mall (Open Plaza Area), Singapore 409057
|Phone||+65 8892 2094|
|Operating hours||Monday to Sundays: 9:00AM to 9:00PM|
Morphine Coffee is a small coffee kiosk that focuses on curating and exemplifying flavours of different origins or blends of coffee beans. Morphine Coffee are also their own coffee roaster; their coffees are profiled to their best definition by their in-house team. Majority of their coffee beans are not roasted past a medium roast, so as to keep much of its flavours intact. This results in coffees that are more daring in flavour and acidity, shying away from generic flavours such as the nuts and chocolates. Due to takeaway kiosk constraints, Morphine Coffee chooses to serve its coffees through 3 methods of brewing – espresso, cold brew, and siphon brew.
Apart from coffees, Morphine also serves teas and snacks. The majority of these non-coffee items are made in-house from scratch as this is the only way to ensure the quality they like and the flavour they seek.
- As a coffee roaster, the team blends and curates the profiles of all coffees in-house.
- Almost everything is made in-house – from the coffees, craft teas, bakes, down to their own bread for toasts.
- The location may not be the most comfortable, but the Morphine Coffee Team strives to have their staff provide great service as much as they can for a takeaway unit.
8. Group Therapy Coffee
|Key Services||Cafe, collective events space|
|Address||181 South Bridge Road #01-05 Cross Street Exchange|
|Operating hours|| Sun-Tue: 8am -5pm|
Wed & Thu: 8am- 9pm
Fri & Sat: 8am-10pm
Group Therapy began in 2011 as a collective events space within a restored shophouse along the gentrified Duxton Road. The space expanded into a day cafe and in 2013 found another home in the Katong neighbourhood. In March 2020, Group Therapy moved from Duxton to Cross Street Exchange, where they continued to serve as a cafe as well as an events space.
Group Therapy Coffee believes that the best form of nourishment is sought through inter-personal connections, where common values and ideals are forged. Through the comforts of their space, good food and drinks, the team hopes that Group Therapy is the perfect setting and catalyst for such encounters.
- Wholly local, independent company that is established in 2011.
- Majority of their food, including pizzas, cakes, bread and ice cream are all made in-house. Group Therapy has a team of pastry and ice cream chefs who work tirelessly to ensure the food is fresh and delicious.
- Group Therapy also has a sister company, Scoop Therapy, that sells small-batch, locally-made ice cream which is all-natural and preservative-free.
Fantastic food! Looks good and tastes even better! The ambience of the place was really homely, love the decor. They definitely needed more tables especially on a crowded day like Sundays. But the service, staff and food was absolutely amazing.Eliza Lee
9. Nylon Coffee Roasters
|Key Services||filter coffees, coffees there are seasonal and have a range of blends to choose from|
|Address||4 Everton Park, #01-04, Singapore 080004|
|Operating hours||Wed-Fri 8:30am to 4pm, Sat-Sun 9am to 4:30pm|
Nylon Coffee Roasters is no stranger to Singapore's coffee culture. Since 2012, the hole-in-the-wall cafe has specialized in obtaining the highest quality beans available. They have a loyal following that forms lengthy lines at any time of day. Many devoted fans seek out this modest cafe for some of Singapore's best coffee beans. Established in 2012 by husband-and-wife team Linus and Shirley, Nylon Coffee Roasters is the first specialty coffee company in Singapore to roast their own beans.
10. Double Up Coffee
|Key Services||These coffees use beans sourced from local cafe and pastries are served on a rotational basis|
|Address||100G Pasir Panjang Road|
#03-03/04/05 Interlocal Centre
|Phone||+65 8875 7790|
|Operating hours||Mon, Wed-Thur, Sun 10am to 6pm|
Double Up Coffee's unusual skateboard table and antique chairs pique my curiosity. Aesthetically, their food includes coffee, non-coffee drinks, and pastries with entertaining aspects.
|Key Services||Great beverage options|
|Address||56 Arab Street, Singapore 199753|
|Operating hours||Sun-Thurs 8am to 6pm, Fri-Sat 8am to 8pm|
Having frequented the original store in Kyoto before, I was ecstatic when %Arabica's flagship came to our shores at Arab Street, having previously patronized the OG shop in Kyoto. Their costs are a touch more expensive, but they're worth it every now and then.
12. Homeground Coffee Roasters
|Key Services||They have light bites, mains, and pastries.|
|Address||475 Joo Chiat Road, Singapore 427682|
|Operating hours||Fri-Tue 9am to 6pm|
The specialty coffee chain Homeground Coffee Roasters is located in Katong. With a goal to share their passion for brewing, the cafe also provides coffee-making instructions and classes.
|Key Services||They feature beans from around the world, including El Salvador and Ethiopia|
|Address||161 Lavender Street, #01-12, Singapore 338750|
|Operating hours||Daily 10am to 6pm|
An apartment owned by a Singapore Brewers Cup winner is the most prestigious accolade available for local baristas. Probably one of the most beautiful cafés I've ever seen, with light-dappled interiors and a mix of white and brown decor. Every ceramic cup of coffee comes with an explanatory card about the beans used, as well as a packet of raw sugar. The coffee here is excellent, though a little on the expensive side for what you get. Other venues from the same folks include Chye Seng Huat Hardware, Zouk and Cafe Iguana.
14. Venture Drive Coffee
|Key Services||Allows you to taste the complete flavour of the beans|
|Address||2 Venture Drive, #02-41, Vision Exchange, Singapore 608526|
|Operating hours||Mon-Fri 9am to 6pm, Sat-Sun 10am to 6pm|
Venture Drive Coffee, an underappreciated Westside cafe, offers single-origin coffees in a minimalist atmosphere. The decor is black and white with a sleek bar where you can observe the baristas preparing your coffee.
15. Chye Seng Huat Hardware
|Key Services||Their Latte have a roasted, nutty aftertaste|
|Address||150 Tyrwhitt Road, Singapore 207563|
|Operating hours||Daily 9am to 9pm|
Most people flock to Chye Seng Huat Hardware for its industrial-chic ambience and brunch, but the coffees contend as some of the finest in Singapore. The cafe is home to coffee roasters PPP Coffee, where you can get a 360-degree view of the baristas hard at work as the flagship for coffee roasters The Pantry.
|Key Services||The cafe sells pastries that are sourced from local bakery The Bakehaus.|
|Address||2 MacTaggart Road, #01-01, Khong Guan Building, Singapore 368079|
|Operating hours||Mon-Fri 8 am to 5pm, Sat-Sun 9am to 6pm|
Alchemist may be found in a biscuit tin-like storefront, which is where the name comes from. The company began as a takeout shop in International Plaza and now has five locations to its credit.
Artisanal Coffee in Singapore
And there you have it, our picks of places for the best artisanal coffee in Singapore. We hope this list has widened your options to get the best cup of joe Singapore has to offer.
Since you made it to the end, why not check out these articles too?:
- 5 Places for the Best Steaks in Singapore 2020
- Best Dessert Places to Try in Singapore in 2020
- Best Handmade Polymer Clay Earrings In Singapore
- 65 Best Things To Do In Singapore For 2020
- Best Gyms in Singapore to Hype Up Your Workout Routine
If you know a business that is in need of help or would like to recommend to others, drop us a email here so we can feature them too!