12 Best Martial Arts Classes In Singapore 
April 19, 2022 by The Fun Empire Team
Martial Arts Singapore
Have you ever wanted to learn a useful life skill while being able to stay fit and toned? Well then, attending a martial arts class may be something you can consider. Other than learning how to properly defend yourself and keeping yourself fit, martial arts will help to develop essential values that you'll need in life. Respect, patience, and self-discipline are just some examples of the values you can learn. Therefore, attending a martial arts class is beneficial for anyone who's looking to strengthen their mind, body, and spirit all at once.
Hence, here at The Fun Empire, we have decided to share with you the best martial arts classes in Singapore. These classes teach a variety of martial arts ranging from Taekwondo, Boxing, Muay Thai, Mixed Martial Arts (MMA), and many more! They will definitely be able to get your heart rate going!
Before we delve right into the list, let's check out these other great and light-hearted articles:
- 5 Best Affordable Places To Play Laser Tag in Singapore For Groups and Corporates
- 20 Fun and Adventurous Things to do in Singapore for 2020
- Best Tingkat Delivery In Singapore
- 60 Unique and Fun Team Building Games In Singapore For 2020
- Best TCM Clinics To Visit In Singapore
1. Evolve MMA
|Key Services||MMA, Muay Thai, Boxing, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Wrestling, Submission Grappling, Kickboxing, Circuit Training (HIIT)|
|Address||Far East Square, Orchard Central, KINEX, Clarke Quay Central. More details here: https://evolve-mma.com/locations/|
|Phone||+65 6536 4525|
|Operating hours||630am to 11pm Daily|
Train in Mixed Martial Arts, Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Boxing, and more with authentic World Champions and living martial arts icons, including Angela Lee, Demetrious Johnson, Shinya Aoki, Nong-O Gaiyanghadao, Marcus “Buchecha” Almeida, Drian Francisco, and more.
Named as the #1 ranked martial arts organization in Asia by CNN, Yahoo! Sports, FOX Sports, and more, Evolve MMA is Asia’s premier championship brand for martial arts and has the most number of World Champions on the planet with over 1,000 years of collective championship experience.
Evolve MMA is the only martial arts gym in the world to be affiliated with both Renzo Gracie Academy in New York (world-renowned training academy for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu) and Sityodtong Muay Thai gym (legendary camp by Grandmaster Kru Yodtong Senanan) in Thailand.
- With 800+ classes per week across 4 convenient locations in Singapore, Evolve MMA has the largest and most comprehensive class schedules in Asia.
- Their outlets are equipped with state-of-the-art facilities for training in martial arts, including equipment for strength and cardio conditioning (such as airdyne bikes, rowing machines, treadmills, power racks, gym sleds, TRX), a full-size boxing ring, and an official MMA octagon cage for realistic training.
- They offer programs for complete beginners (who have never done any type of exercise at all) to advanced competitors (who want to raise the level of their game). All age groups, genders, skill levels, and fitness levels are welcome. Evolve MMA has the highest standards of excellence and you can expect the highest quality martial arts instruction available anywhere in the world.
I've been training BJJ and Muay Thai at Evolve for 2.5 years now having trained in different martial arts in a number of different countries. In my experience Evolve in general is as good as it gets.
1. The instructors are world-class. You can see from the bios of even the junior guys that there is great depth in quality and experience. The trainers are dedicated and focused on improving their students. I've trained at other gyms where instructors will demonstrate something and then spend the next 10 minutes playing with their phones. Does not happen here!
2. The facilities are top-notch. Huge dedicated floor spaces - plentiful bags and dedicated sparring spots. Everything is cleaned continuously (extremely important if you're spending a lot of time on the floor). FES also has a really high-quality dedicated gym space with great cardio and weights equipment. Changing rooms is way better than anything I've seen at other martial arts gyms.
3. Vibe - Martial Art gyms can be intimidating, but from the second you step in through the door, all the staff are friendly and welcoming. This rubs off on the students and it has got the feel of a social club.
2. The Jungle MMA & Fitness
|Key Services||Group classes and Personal Training for Boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ and HIIT|
|Address||35 Boat Quay, Singapore 049824|
|Operating hours||Monday to Friday: 7 AM - 9 PM|
Saturday: 10 AM - 3.30 PM
Sunday: 8 AM - 5 PM
The Jungle is an MMA gym located in Raffles Place, they offer Muay Thai, boxing, HIIT, BJJ, and MMA. The packages offered by them are flexible and competitive. They consist of personal training along with both indoor and outdoor group classes. The Jungle has several awards and they are voted as one of the best rated in Singapore.
- Firstly, The Jungle MMA & Fitness is easily accessible, only a 1-minute walk from Raffle Place MRT.
- Next, The Jungle MMA & Fitness provides a friendly environment where all classes are conducted safely and non-repetitive.
- Last but not least, they have an effective program with results in fitness and techniques.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!! One of the best gyms in Singapore! The gym is uniquely painted and designed! Trainers are so friendly and highly patient. Their Muay Thai classes are so fun and well structured for the whole hour! Beginners do not have to worry about catching up with intermediate students as time will be given to learn the basics.
3. JR Muay Thai
|Key Services||Quality Muay Thai Gym with different categories of classes catered to multiple people|
|Address||Multiple Gym Locations, view them here: https://jrmuaythai.com/muay-thai-gym/|
|Operating hours||Monday to Friday: 11 AM - 9 PM|
Saturday and Sunday: 10 AM - 6 PM
To start off, we have JR Muay Thai. JR Muay Thai was born with the purpose to introduce quality Muay Thai training programs to everyone looking to learn martial arts skills. They help to provide you quality Muay Thai trainers and services to improve one's self-defense skills, lifestyle, and well-being.
Also, JR Muay Thai understands that it is important to have a convenient location to train at. That is the reason why they have worked together with top gyms in Singapore to bring you several training locations. Pricing and packages are exactly the same whether you book through JR Muay Thai or with the different gyms. All in all, with JR Muay Thai guiding you every step of the way, we can be sure that everyone will have a great time learning martial arts!
- Firstly, JR Muay Thai offers multiple locations for training.
- Next, they have top trainers at JR Muay Thai.
- Last but not least, JR Muay Thai offers private training at a location of convenience or their gym.
My PT trainer is a very experienced trainer, who corrects my technique with patience and explains to me why people do this and not that etc. We take training once a week at my place and he brings everything needed with him. It is really time-saving and convenient.Jiwei Han (Google Reviews)
4. Equilibrium MMA
|Key Services||Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and Boxing|
|Address||2 Orchard Link, #03-05A, Singapore 237978|
|Operating hours||Weekdays: 6.30 AM - 9.30 PM|
Weekends: 9 AM - 6 PM
Equilibrium provides top-notch instruction in a comfortable and friendly environment. Their instructors are popular and highly reputable, imparting the latest techniques to all students, age 5 and above, beginners to competitive adults. Equilibrium is tightly engaged with the MMA network around the globe and is associated with multiple world champions, trained by their instructors who are champions in their own right. The gym is also a popular training stop for UFC and current Muay Thai and BJJ champions and seminars are organized for members.
- Instructors are qualified, reputable, and popular. Members are friendly and the community is close-knit.
- Members are encouraged to compete and we have several members who are SEA Games medallists in Jiu-jitsu.
- The gym is centrally located, well-kept and clean.
My son was about to quit BJJ as he found that he wasn't learning new things at the old gym. Good thing we moved him to EQ and his interested piqued as the instructors taught different techniques that challenged him. Classes are also reasonably sized so there is more individual attention from the professors.Google Review
5. Korean Takwando Martial Art
|Key Services||Taekwondo, Self Defense, Character Building|
|Address||Novena Branch - 171A/B Thomson Road, Goldhill Center, Singapore 307622|
West Coast Branch - 1 West Coast Drive, #01-08/09, NEWest Mall, Singapore 128020
|Operating hours||Novena Branch:|
Tuesdays to Fridays: 3 PM - 8 PM
Weekends: 9 AM - 6 PM
West Coast Branch
Mondays to Fridays: 4 PM - 9 PM (Closed Thursdays)
Weekends: 9 AM - 6 PM
At KTMA Academy, their mission is to train and develop every student to their fullest potential. Apart from cultivating self-defence techniques through the art of kicking and punching, KTMA Academy believes that Taekwondo lessons should encompass the perfect blend of serious learning, fun and engagement. Their taekwondo instructors also strive to instil all the right values in their students. As one of the best Taekwondo schools in Singapore, they specialise in teaching Taekwondo Self-Defence techniques, Taekwondo Sparring/Poomsae techniques as well as Taekwondo Demonstration techniques. Students in their Taekwondo academy have won numerous awards at the local and international level. Their friendly and affectionate hand-picked staff and instructors are able to accommodate students of all ages and levels and will definitely make anyone feel at home!
- Specialized in teaching children
- Family-oriented (personalized service)
- Pioneer in modern taekwondo (eg. The first and only Taekwando school in Singapore to have a mascot. They are also the first Taekwondo school to open specialized self-defense classes and black belt/advanced classes for kids locally. KTMA Academy managed to achieve top 3 overall in nationals in the 1st year of inception)
Both my twins always look forward to their taekwondo lessons here. Instructors are patient and always being sensitive to one of my children who is a special need. They push him just enough while being gentle and encouraging. Great team on the desk who always responds to queries promptly and greets with a smile. Space is clean and sufficient. Recommended!Nadia Zefania (Facebook Reviews)
6. Ascend Athletics Singapore
|Key Services||Key Services Group and Private classes for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Functional Interval Training (F.I.T), for Kids and Adults|
|Address||27 Dalhousie Lane Singapore 209690|
|Operating hours||Monday to Friday: 5 PM - 930 PM|
Saturday: 11.30 AM - 3.30 PM
Ascend Athletics is founded on the belief that Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu can be a sustainable fitness lifestyle for all. Their classes are carefully structured to improve learning and growth, with safety as the highest emphasis.
All in all, Ascend Athletics' goal is to grow alongside all their athletes and invest in their long-term progress and journey.
- Firstly, Ascend Athletics provides safe training in a controlled and supervised environment, under the watchful guidance of the instructor.
- Next, their program is able to cater to students who are recovering from an injury or coming back after a long layoff. Classes are suitable for anyone from all walks of life, who are looking to adopt sustainable fitness for the long haul.
- Last but not least, Ascend Athletics is just a walking distance from 4 MRT Stations. The studio is located 1 minute from Rochor, 5 minutes from Jalan Besar and Little India, and 10 minutes from Bugis.
Coach Chris is a dedicated instructor, I have trained with him for a few years, he is patient, focuses on the fundamentals, and his methods for drilling enable me to learn easily. He also emphasizes safety by making sure students look out for each other when drilling or sparring to reduce the chances of injuries.
In kids class, he is firm and makes sure the children focus on training and help them learn jiujitsu concepts from playing games. My nephew always enjoy his class and eager to learn new techniques
Ascend Athletics is also very conveniently located near Rocher MRT about 3 minutes walk away from the station.
Which makes going home after a hard training session, less of a drag!
Whether you are a beginner or looking for a gym with a chill vibe, look no further Ascend Athletics is the place.Ignatius (HJ) Soh
7. Trifecta Martial Arts Academy
|Key Services||Taekwondo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Krav Maga|
|Address||1 Coleman St, #04-35 The Adelphi, Singapore 179803|
|Operating hours||Tuesday to Friday: 3 PM - 10 PM|
Weekends: 9 AM - 7 PM
Trifecta Martial Arts is a multi-disciplinary martial arts school that is family-friendly and suitable for ages from 3 onwards. They teach Taekwondo, BJJ and Krav Maga. Students are taught martial arts with fundamentals on focus, discipline, and personal mastery.
- Focus on character development
- No mixing of the martial arts (i.e. no MMA)
Trifecta is a good family orientated club. My two sons and wife are now all on their martial arts journey. Professional staff with a passion for teaching, a good booking system coupled with a teaching method that develops values and not just fighting contribute to the positive ongoing affiliation we have with the club.Ben Vella
8. ILDO Taekwondo Academy
|Key Services||Taekwondo Enrichment Centre: (ILDO Taekwondo)|
Studio & Café: (ILDO STUDIO & CAFÉ)
|Address||Bukit Timah (Headquarters)|
170 Upper Bukit Timah Road Bukit Timah Shopping Centre #B2-04/05 Singapore 588179
(Taekwondo Enrichment Centre 'ILDO Taekwondo')
170 Upper Bukit Timah Road Bukit Timah Shopping Centre #B2-17 Singapore 588179
(Studio & Café 'ILDO Studio')
154 West Coast Rd West Coast Plaza #02- 07 / 08, Singapore 127371
(Taekwondo Enrichment Centre 'ILDO Taekwondo')
799 New Upper Changi Rd, Bedok Point 02-20/22, Singapore 467351
(Taekwondo Enrichment Centre 'ILDO Taekwondo')
|Phone||Bukit Timah: 9754 1832|
West Coast: 9785 7118
Bedok: 9677 5860
|Operating hours||Tuesday to Friday: 3 PM - 8 PM|
Saturday to Sunday: 10 PM - 8 PM
ILDO Taekwondo is not only about teaching students Taekwondo techniques. Masters have for a decade instilled values of Harmony, Confidence, Courtesy, Perseverance, and Respect as a culture amongst ILDO students.
Moreover, Taekwondo programs and events are conducted by principal master Daniel Kim’s seasoned experience as a former Singapore National Taekwondo Demonstration Team chairman and a current Singapore Taekwondo Federation (STF) marketing vice-president.
The events and programs include ILDO Demonstration Team performance and collaboration with Korean Community, Korean tourism Organization, Korean Embassy-sponsored Korean festival, Dream Cruise Festival, Taekwondo student (Lynn Soh) honorary interview with the media, and special seminars that boost fitness and motivation of students.
These experiences are for all ages and levels. Eventually, ILDO's dynamic education program converts ILDO students into Korean Martial Arts culture ambassadors.
- Masters conduct ECA at International schools (GESS[German European in Singapore], ICS [International Community Schol], SKIS [Singapore Korean International School], SSIS [Swiss School in Singapore], KCK [Korean Church Kindergarden])
- Provide various Taekwondo related activities (ex: Holiday Seminar: nunchucks, self-defense, board breaking, acrobatics, Taekwondo camp/ and Demonstration Team, etc)
- Ildo Taekwondo focuses on teaching a child self-discipline and in the process boost their self-confidence to be able to complete tasks on their own.
My 2 kids enjoy their weekly taekwondo lessons here and progressing very well. Very committed masters and they will look out for potentials in the students and recommend for advancement if suitable. Most importantly, they re-emphasized the values we taught at home such as discipline and perseverance in the academy. Great communications from counter staff too. Thumps up and great job!Anna Ng
9. King Of Strength Boxing Gym
|Key Services||Martial Arts (Boxing / Strength & Conditioning / Personal Training)|
|Address||345 Sembawang Rd, Singapore 758354|
|Operating hours||Monday to Friday: 3.30 PM - 10 PM|
Saturday: 8.30 AM - 1.30 PM
Sunday: 12.30 PM - 5 PM
Visit our website for schedule and rates! (https://www.kosboxingym.sg/schedule-rates/)
If you want to feel like you’re part of a Rocky Balboa movie, this is the place to be! Nestled along Sembawang road, King of Strength is a vibrant martial arts gym that guarantees anyone will have a sweat-filled workout! One of the only few martial arts gyms located in the north, they cater to all age groups for fitness, weight loss or just learning a new skill! They focus on technical aspects of western boxing and provide classes daily! If you are too shy, they also have personal training packages catered for individual's needs!
Do check out King of Strength for an intense workout and don’t forget to grab your prata next door after training!
- Only few boxing gyms in the North of Singapore
- Catered to all age groups
- Only few gyms in Singapore focus and specialise in teaching boxing
The coaches are perfect master craftsmen in the art of boxing. They will patiently point out details from obvious to minor points in each and every trainee during each session, just to tweak everyone's personal mistakes, so you are always sure to leave a session learning something. Nobody gets left behind. No egos, very friendly environment. The strength & conditioning classes are also great fun. You will be driven and pushed out of your usual comfort boundaries in a safe manner.Nick Scully
10. Kapap Academy Singapore
|Key Services||Self-defense training|
|Address||144 Robinson Road #05-01, Singapore 068908|
|Operating hours||Daily: 9 AM - 9 PM|
Kapap Academy is one of Singapore's leading realistic self-defence school. Their school has taught over 60,000 students in its proprietary self-defence system known as Modern Street Combatives. Specialising in realistic self-defence, Kapap Academy teaches the use of biomechanics, and principles of physics to enable someone to defend against even a much stronger and bigger person. As a result of its social entrepreneurial work, Kapap Academy has conferred a medal from the Queen of England in 2017.
- Realistic and Efficient
- Internationally Recognised
- Science-Based Self Defence system
I highly recommend the Personal Protection Programme. The instructors are very knowledgeable and shared many practical techniques for different real-life scenarios. They taught us why a technique work, instead of just getting us to execute these techniques, so we can modify them for different situations. It has definitely empowered me and made me feel more confident to manage a situation by myself.Vanessa Chia (Facebook Reviews)
11. Fortitude Martial Arts & Fitness
|Key Services||Offer martial arts class: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu(core focus), Judo & Metcon Fitness class (core focus)|
|Address||320C King George’s Ave, Singapore 208564|
|Operating hours||Daily: 5 PM - 9 PM|
Fortitude Martial Arts & Fitness was founded in 2014. The main objective at Fortitude Martial Arts & Fitness is to promote a safe and positive learning environment for everyone of all ages to develop their fitness and skills. Classes are designed to cater to both leisure hobbyists and avid competitors alike. In addition to multiple-time world champions, the Fort has produced many part-time athletes from all walks of life. “Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is one of the world’s fastest-growing martial arts. It has been established as one of the most effective combat styles. Students of all ages practice the art for a variety of reasons, including self-defense, fitness, camaraderie, and fun.”
- Firstly, Fortitude Martial Arts & Fitness provides a safe and conducive environment for learning.
- Next, their training is catered to everyone from all walks of life.
- Last but not least, Fortitude Martial Arts & Fitness offers Metcon fitness for both serious and casual groups.
Ever since my kids have joined Fortitude 3 years ago, they have made tremendous progress. The coaches - Coach Vince, Coach Shane, Kacie, are extremely dedicated and my kids simply adore the coaches.
Coach Vince is always encouraging the kids to come out of their comfort zone, and thanks to this, my kids have also taken part in international competitions. BJJ is one of the best martial arts.Manjee Naidu
12. Stronghold MMA
|Key Services||Family-owned martial arts academy|
|Address||100 Turf Club Rd, #01-02A Horsecity, Singapore 287992|
|Operating hours||Monday: 7 PM - 9.30 PM|
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday: 4.30 PM - 9.30 PM
Saturday: 10 AM - 3 PM
Sunday: 10 AM - 2 PM
Next up, we have Stronghold MMA. Stronghold MMA is a martial arts academy that's opened by a family consisting of a husband and wife, Luke and Charmaine Leasure. Also, they are the main teachers and instructors of Stronghold MMA who have been teaching together for over 5 years. Lessons provided by Stronghold MMA are safe and accessible to anyone regardless of experience level, fitness level, gender, or body type.
- Firstly, Stronghold MMA is a family-owned martial arts academy.
- Next, Stronghold MMA implements a university approach to martial arts. Each lesson is designed with a long-term curriculum to ensure maximum retention for students.
- Last but not least, their instructors train with the students almost every day. This focuses on developing the relationship between both the teachers and students.
No hesitation giving 5 Stars! They may not be a huge gym, but they have super committed instructors who are patient and kind, especially towards younger children.
My kids always look forward to all their classes at Stronghold. They instill good values and are always fair and understanding in their dealings with customers. There’s a good mix of age groups and participants, from kids to adults. The community is great!
Conveniently located at Horse City, with sufficient (albeit expensive) parking. Free parking is located less than a 5 minutes walk away.Heleena Huang
Martial Arts Singapore
In short, here's the list of the best martial arts classes in Singapore. If you're looking to build your body, mind, and spirit, then be sure to check out these martial arts academies and gyms. We hope that all of you have managed to gain a better insight into not only the benefits one can gain from training in martial arts but also the various types of disciplines you can venture into in terms of the martial arts style that you might want to learn!
Since you have made it to the end, why not check our other awesome articles too:
- Best Artisanal Food Brands In Singapore
- Best Local Bakeries and Confectioneries on Instagram
- 5 Places for the Best Steaks in Singapore 2021
- Best Tingkat Delivery In Singapore
- Best Alcohol Delivery In Singapore
If you know a business that is in need of help or a business that you would recommend to others, let us know so we can feature them too! Contact us here!
What is Martial Arts?
Martial arts is an art form of self-defence that originated in Asia and uses physical fighting techniques and manoeuvres. It is usually practised for competition, exercise, or self-defence purposes. There are many different types of martial arts, but all of them share the same basic principles. Some examples of martial arts include Aikido, Brazillian Jiu Jitsu, Traditional Jiu Jitsu, Chinese Martial Arts, Chinese Kung Fu, Mixed Martial Arts (MMA), Indian Martial Arts, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, Karate, Kickboxing, Silat and Wrestling.
What is the origin of martial arts?
The origin of martial arts can be traced back to Asia, where it originated as a form of self-defence. Over the years, it has evolved and developed into different styles, each with its own unique techniques, disciplines and principles. Today, there are many different types of martial arts which are practised all over the world. Many martial arts also involve Buddhism where they believe in protecting the world from chaos with self-defence. As martial arts developed into a popular art form, there have been many world class champions that have brought light onto our Asian art form in other countries and making them popular. One classic example is Burce Lee who equipped himself in various martial arts such as Wing Chun, Chinese Martial Arts, Boxing and Jeet Kune Do.
Why do people practise martial arts?
People practise martial arts for various reasons. Some people enjoy the competitive aspect of it and participate and win in tournaments or challenge others to fight. Others enjoy the physical and mental challenges that come with learning and mastering martial arts techniques. Of course, including keeping themselves in shape. And finally, some people practise martial arts for self-defence purposes – to protect themselves from physical attack.
What to Look for in a Martial Arts Class?
If you are interested in taking up martial arts, there are many factors to be considered so it is important to do your research and find the right class for you. There are many different types of martial arts classes available, so it is important to find one that suits your needs and interests. Some things to look for include the type of martial art being taught, the art form, the experience and qualifications. Be sure to always look for a free trial class when you're just at the beginning!
How do martial arts benefit me?
There are hundreds of benefits to taking up martial arts. These include improved physical fitness, discipline, physical and mental strength, self-defence skills, spiritual development and more. Martial arts can also help to improve your confidence and sense of wellbeing. Martial arts also give you abilities to be adapted to different dangerous situations. Some art forms are more aggressive than others but they all equip you with agility, allowing you to be subject to hand to hand combat. If you're interested in other ways to keep fit, be sure to check out the Best Corporate Fitness Activity In Singapore!
What are the differences between the types of martial arts?
There are many different types of martial arts and they all have their own unique benefits and features. Some of the more popular martial arts include Karate, Aikido, Judo, Jujitsu, Taekwondo and Mixed Martial Arts (MMA). Each of these has its own specific techniques and moves that set them apart from one another. For example, some martial arts include using equipment or weapons such as a dagger while others focus on unarmed combat. Hand to hand combat forms the foundation of martial arts and self-defence and you will be able to learn a variety of fighting styles including learning footwork and throwing punches. It is important to do your research and find the right type of martial art for you before taking up classes.
Is martial arts violent?
The answer to this question depends on the type of martial art that you are taking up. Some martial arts, such as Karate and Judo, involve using physical force to overcome an opponent, while others, such as Tai Chi and Aikido, focus on using defensive techniques to avoid confrontation. Martial arts can be aggressive but many agree that it equips you with the abilities to protect yourself.
Are martial arts classes hard?
The level of difficulty of a martial arts class will depend on the type of martial art that you are taking up and the range is huge. Some, such as Karate and Taekwondo, can be quite physically demanding, while others, such as Tai Chi and Yoga, may be more gentle and relaxing. It is important to find a class that suits your ability and experience. However, your skill level will surely be improved when you take up a class and with much practice involved! But you should always keep in mind that being able to execute what you have practised takes time, patience.